Privacy and Cookie Statement
This privacy and cookie statement was last updated on 1 August 2018.
CARU Group B.V. is a worldwide supplier of new and used shipping containers. We deliver value to our customers by being a reliable supplier. We live up to our responsibilities and customers can always rely in the supply of containers. Responsibility, openness and respect are our core values.
This means that we also take our responsibility in protecting personal data. This means we are transparent about the usage of your personal data, that it safe is our hands and is used in a proper manner. In this privacy statement, we explain what we do with your personal data.
1. Who is the controller of your personal data?
CARU Group B.V. consists of a number of legal entities in Europe, all of which act in accordance with this privacy and cookie statement:
CARU Containers B.V.
CARU Containers Rental B.V.
CARU Containers BVBA
CARU Praha s.r.o.
CARU Containers GMBH
Containerhandel CARU AB
When in this privacy CARU is mentioned this refers to CARU Group B.V. and its legal entities in Europa.
CARU Group B.V. is headquarted in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. If you have any question or concerns about CARU’s privacy statement, policy or practices then please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call us on +31 10 491 4444 or send a letter to the following address:
CARU Group BV
3195 ND Rotterdam
2. Why does CARU process personal data?
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to provide access to our website;
- to allow use of the features on our website;
- to deliver on a contract relating to our services (such as container sales and rental);
- to provide a login environment, which allows you to review your orders;
- to contact you, if you have indicated you wish to be contacted;
- to gain insight into how our website is used;
- to improve and evaluate our website and services including through customer satisfaction surveys;
- to process potential participation in promotional campaigns, loyalty programmes and other matters;
- to identify out target group and corresponding interests, for example, in order to make our offers more attractive to you by showing advertising that matches your interests through both our own websites and third-party websites;
- to perform analyses and conduct research for statistical and scientific purposes;
- to send you (one of) our general and/or personalised newsletters.
Profiling and personalised ads
We are able to combine the personal data we receive from you through the various channels. For example, we are able to combine the information we collect about you online order and the acceptance of cookies. We are able to combine all that data based on the consent you provided, which allows us to develop a customer profile of you. These customer profiles are spread across a number of categories, so we can analyse your interests, for the purpose of personalising the products we offer to you even further by way of personalised advertising through various channels, including newsletters, our website(s) and third-party websites.
Your personal data will not be processed for any other purposes than those outlined above, unless you have given us permission in advance to do so or unless this is required under the agreement which we entered into with you, or unless we are permitted or required to do so by law.
3. Which personal data does CARU process?
We process the following data for the purposes referred to in the privacy and cookie statement:
- name and address details;
- date of birth;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- customer reference number;
- login details for carucontainers.com;
- information about container(s) that you have ordered (such as delivery and pick up date, delivery and pick up location, number and type of containers, length of rental period);
- information about the containers viewed on our website;
- IP address;
- cookie IDs;
- any personal details that you have provided as the content of a message, for example, via the check-out, the contact form or via social media.
4. From who does CARU process personal data?
We process personal data of people with whom we have, would like to have or have had, a customer relationship. These are, for example, personal data of:
- (former) customers;
- people who show an interest in our products and services, or
- people who are connected to a company or organization with whom we want to have, or have had, a customer relationship.
- people working at our suppliers and partners.
If an organization has a customer relationship with CARU Containers and gives contact details of its employees to us, that organization is obliged to inform these contacts about this. In this privacy statement, these contact persons can see how we handle their personal data.
5. On which legal grounds does CARU base the processing of your data?
Each processing of personal data is based on a so called ‘legal ground’ as listed in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We process your personal data on four legal grounds:
- For the performance of a contract with you; or
- For compliance with a legal obligation; or
- for the legitimate interest pursued by us; or
- your consent.
Performance of a contract
We use your personal data for processing necessary for the performance of the contract with you, being the sell, rent or lease of containers. Without this data, we would not be able to fulfil the contract. The processing of orders and service requests fall under this legal ground.
We are legally obliged to process your personal data in order to comply with fiscal and othe legal obligations.
We use your personal data for our legitimate interest.
- To be able to maintain a lasting relationship with you as a customer and to offer you products and services (e.g. direct marketing)
- To be able to detect fraud and security incidents on our website
- To defend ourselves in legal procedures
- To improve the effectiveness of our offering through statistical analysis
In those case where previous three legal ground do not apply, we process data with your unambiguous consent. Note that you can always withdraw your given consent.
6. To whom does CARU provide your personal data?
We share your personal data with third parties when this is required for the performance of the contract, or unless we are permitted or required to do so by law. We may provide your personal data to the following companies who process that data on our behalf:
- external ICT service providers;
- the parties that provide the cookies, see cookie list.
We have written agreements in place with these companies on how your personal data is handled, what they are allowed to do and what they are not allowed to do.
We may also share your personal data with third parties who independently determine how your personal data is handled. We are not able to influence the way your personal data is used by these parties, given that they independently determine the data processing purpose as well as who they, in turn, share that data with. These may include the following organizations:
- transport companies;
- financial institutions;
- container depots.
In addition, we will release your personal details to government agencies as required by the applicable law.
We may also share personal data internally with affiliated entities of CARU Group B.V. for the purpose of providing you with information, products and services, the development of our services, websites, applications, promotions and communication.
7. For how long does CARU retain your data?
We retain your data no longer than is necessary to achieve the purposes stated in this privacy and cookie statement.
8. How do we keep your personal data safe?
CARU takes appropriate technical an organizational security measures to limit and prevent the misuse of, and any unauthorised access to, your personal data, thereby ensuring that only the necessary parties have access to the data, that access to the data is protected and that our security measures are regularly checked. In addition, we use TLS certificates to ensure the safe transfer of your data and secure communication.
9. What are your privacy rights?
If you have any questions regarding what personal data we have collected from you, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Please see the contact details at the bottom of this privacy and cookie statement. Under current privacy laws, you have the right to:
- receive confirmation as to whether or not personal data is being processed about you;
- access the specific personal data that we have collected;
- have any inaccurate data rectified;
- have outdated personal data erased;
- withdraw your consent;
- object to a specific type of use of the data;
- the transfer of data.
Please always ensure that you make your identity clearly known, so we, in turn, can ensure that we do not modify or delete the data of the wrong person.
Reasonable access to your personal data will be provided at no costs. If access cannot be provided within a reasonable time frame, CARU will provide you with a date when the information will be provided. If for some reason access is denied, CARU will provide an explanation as to why access has been denied.
10. Where to go in case of a question or complaint?
Naturally, we are happy to provide any assistance if you have any complaints about the processing of your personal data. Please email any questions or complaints you may have to email@example.com.
Pursuant to privacy legislation, you have the right to submit a complaint concerning the processing of your personal data by our company to the Dutch Data Protection Authority. You may contact the Dutch Data Protection Authority for this purpose https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl
11. Changes to this privacy and cookie statement
We recognize that information privacy is an ongoing responsibility, and so we will from time to time update this privacy statement. We therefore recommend that you check this privacy and cookie statement regularly to ensure that you are aware of these amendments.
12. Our contact details
If you have any questions regarding your privacy and our privacy and cookie statement, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, call us or send a letter to the following address:
CARU Group BV
3195 ND Rotterdam
+31 10 491 4444
The following types of cookies are used on our website:
- designed to enable the features of the website (technical and functional cookies);
- designed to analyse use of the website and improve the website based on that data (analytical cookies);
- designed to make our offerings to you more attractive by showing you advertising that matches your interests (advertising cookies);
- designed to allow you to email, print or share a page on social media networks (social media cookies);
- designed to enable the extra features of our website (miscellaneous cookies).
- Google Adwords;
- Google Analytics
Check our list of cookies for further details about the cookies on our website.
Enabling and disabling cookies
You can set your browser to accept the storage of cookies only if you agree to do so. Please consult the manual of your web browser for more information on this topic. Please note that many websites will not function optimally if you have disabled cookies.
A lot of cookies have an expiry date. If the cookies have been given an expiry date, they will be automatically removed once the expiry date has lapsed. You may also opt to delete cookies manually before the expiry date has lapsed. Please consult your browser's user guide for this purpose.
Where we provide links to websites of other organisations, this privacy notice does not cover how that organisation processes personal information. We therefore encourage you to read the privacy statement on the other websites before using them.